Tuesday 30 July 2013

SPOON # 30 - Friday 26th July

I was on a youth camp for church a couple of days this week. It was fun to be able to sleep out under the trees. The weather was great and fortunately we broke camp before the torential rain came.

There was a lovely elderly retired couple, visiting from Texas USA, who had been recruited to prepare all the meals for camp and they did an amazing job of it - not least of all the sloppy-joe sandwiches and home made chocolate topped flapjack.

Anyway, the gentleman was quite keen on whittling and I saw him a couple of times, when he had time on his hands, take out a pocket knife and carve away at a little piece of wood. He saw the spoons that I was using for eating my meal with and was very interested and complimentary, so I decided to knock him up a quick spoon to say thank you for the fine food.

I found a semi-green piece of holly in the woods, that someone had used for a shelter building activity, and it was a nice crook so I thought I'd have a go at a small laddle.

I was quite pleased with the results, I didn't have much time so didn't finish it as well as I would have liked (since it was a gift), but it was not bad. I can only apologise for the poor quality of the pictures, but I only had my phone with me.


I know this picture makes it look like it has a strange bowl shape, but that's just a chip on the stump behind the spoon.


 
As you can see, it had some nice colour and grain pattern. I gave him instructions to wrap it in paper for a few weeks, then to oil it and the colour should come up beautifully.

1 comment:

  1. really nice. How long does it take you to carve a spoon?

    ReplyDelete