Saturday 9 November 2013

SPOON # 44 - Saturday 9th November

Well, here we have another laurel spoon.

A little more kolrossing


 

I had a bit of a panic last week. When I was kid, my big brother Adrian, who was into all things pathology, used to get interesting and exotic insects that he wanted to preserve or make into microscope slides and would put them in a box for a few days with laurel leaves, explaining that the cyanide in the leaves would reverse the effects of rigor mortis and enable him to work on a newly pliable insect exoskeleton. Remembering this fact it suddenly occurred to me that if laurel contains cyanide, it's probably not a good idea to make eating implements from it.

I have since scoured the internet and found a number of confusing (there is a wide variety of laurels and I don't know what the common or garden British variety is called) and contradictory articles. Is there anyone out there who can answer this question once and for all for me?

If you are interested in the Japanese whittling knife in the photos, by the way, have a look at my other blog where I have included a short post about it:
http://holtheathwoodentreen.blogspot.co.uk/

7 comments:

  1. On a more serious note, are we planning a Midlands Spoon Meet (MSM)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, but not entirely sure when or how. I've chatted with Julian about it and we thought maybe the week between Christmas and the New Year here in Leicester since between now and Christmas just seems hectic - including my wife's 40th birthday one of the weekends. Having said that, not impossible.What do you think? Do-able?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's going to be busy for me, we're going away. Perhaps sometime in the New Year, our school caretaker is more than happy to let us have use of the school, it's just between Nuneaton and Bedworth if we need a venue?
    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi
    i have been following your blog for a while now, you once had mentioned fixing a small crack with some saw dust and crazy glue. ( i think?). anyway can you please expand? i have a small spilt/crack on the rim of my newly carved cooking spoon. its very small but i don't want it to get bigger and wreck my beautiful spoon
    can you please expand. can you sand the crazy glue smooth? etc...???
    Thank you,
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheryl - I definitely replied to this question, but it doesn't seem to have published it on the blog, so am a little afraid it has got lost out there, somewhere in the ether. Did you get a reply? If not, I'll send it again.
      Sorry, Richard

      Delete
  5. Hi Richard,
    No, unfortunately I don't see a reply. Sorry, I hope it's not hard respond again.
    Thanks so much,
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheryl, sorry it didn't work last time, but here goes....
      I have tried the crazy glue (What we call PVA) and sawdust method and it wasn't great. Don't know if it was the kind of wood I was trying it on, but it looked dirty. I have used two-part apoxy resin with good results - though this will only work if the crack is not too wide. Crazy glue will sand but has to be thoroughly dry or it remains a bit 'rubbery'. Apoxy dries hard and clear and will smooth like glass - doesn't respond well to boiling water so no good in a dishwasher afterward.

      Hope that helps? Never give up on a spoon.

      Richard

      Delete