This weekend's carving didn't begin too well. I guess I was a little over-zealous with the axe.
So I started over and was a lot happier with take 2.
It was a lovely bit of fresh ash, split clean and carved nicely. I decided to do a bit of kolrossing on the handle, some traditional 'love-token' type designs that I'd copied from some scrimshaw. Not as easy as I'd hoped it would be, but all in all not too bad either. I used cinnamon first but it didn't really take the colour, so I tried again with gravy browning, which I'd had good results with previously. This worked but, as you can see, it seeped into the grain a little too, which kind of blurs the image a bit. Needs oiling now.