Sunday 26 January 2014

Ash eating spoon

This weekend's carving didn't begin too well. I guess I was a little over-zealous with the axe.
So I started over and was a lot happier with take 2.

It was a lovely bit of fresh ash, split clean and carved nicely. I decided to do a bit of kolrossing on the handle, some traditional 'love-token' type designs that I'd copied from some scrimshaw. Not as easy as I'd hoped it would be, but all in all not too bad either. I used cinnamon first but it didn't really take the colour, so I tried again with gravy browning, which I'd had good results with previously. This worked but, as you can see, it seeped into the grain a little too, which kind of blurs the image a bit. Needs oiling now.



2 comments:

  1. Looks great. That ash looks really nice and smooth to.
    Have you ever tried that kroseling knife that they sell at pinewood forge USA? Not a suggestion. Just a question. I have one but have yet to buy the video that explains how to properly use it. I haven't really used it much at all but am very curious. It is for the line"carving" as opposed to chip carving designs. Wondering if anyone had any experience with it ? The handle is more like a pencil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that spoon is beautiful!! Nice work!-from Coronado, CA

    ReplyDelete